Introduction to Gemstones | 1 day
Time & Location
About The Course
Would you like to be able to recognise when a gem is not what it should be, before you work on it, buy it or sell it? Would you like more knowledge in commercial gemstones? Would you like to sell more gemstones? The answer is, yes!
This 1-day course is perfect for retail jewellers, goldsmiths and jewellery makers, valuers, pawnbrokers or anyone with a passion for gemstones who wants to learn more.
There are three key skills that any gemmologist needs in order to recognise gemstones - Observation, Observation, Observation! It is not enough to just look at a gemstone, you must really see it...
….What colour is it? Not just red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple; but the particular type of that colour. Is it entirely see through, or is it a bit milky? How much light does it reflect; is it incredibly sparkly, or is it a little bit dull? Can you see fire: those rainbows that dance out of some gemstones? Is there any wear or damage to the stone and what does that look like? Inside the stone, is the colour consistent or is it in stripes or bands? Are there cracks or breaks inside the stone and what do they look like? Are there any crystal or mineral or other inclusions inside the gemstone and what shape, size and quantity are they? Once you have observed and analysed all of these features, you need to know what gemstone contains this specific combination of features.
That is what this course will give you. Lead by an experienced and practical gemmologist, you will be taught how to look at gemstones, how to observe these features and how to interpret them. You will learn the key characteristics for common and commercial gemstones, and how to use these to recognise them and tell them apart.
Once you have learned the art of observation and recognising gemstones, you can then move on to start to identify them and train in gem testing. Throughout the day, you will be given gemstones that have been painstakingly selected to efficiently show you the key features. You will also have the opportunity to handle and observe hundreds of other specimens so you can become familiar with the gemstones. The course is designed to be both commercial and practical so in a short space of time you can pick up the key skills you need to immediately implement them in your studies, business and work.
Everything you need for the day will be provided - all gemstones and equipment. Also, all refreshments and lunch, so you don’t need to worry about a thing - you just need to turn up and learn!
- Learn how to observe and recognise a range of common and commercial natural, man-made and imitation gemstones using a loupe
- Detailed observation and recording of gemstone features using a 10x loupe, and different light sources.
- Knowledge of quality and value factors
- Care and handling of gemstones
- Selling information for gemstones
Who is it for:
- Retail Jewellers
- Goldmsiths & Jewellery Makers
- Jewellery designers
- Anyone interested in learning how to identify gemstonesvfor hobby or trade
What does it include:
- 6 hours tutor led instruction
- Use of practice gemstones
- Loan of equipment if needed
- Morning and afternoon refreshments
Skills & experience needed:
- Some prior experience of gemstones and gemmology useful but not essential
- 1 day
- 8th June 2020
What you earn:
- Certificate of Completion
- 1 Day Introduction to Gemstone£175£1750£0