Practical Gemmology | 3 day
Time & Location
About The Course
Would being able to positively identify gemstones add value to your career, business or hobby?
Would you be able to sell more gemstones? Have more confidence buying and selling gemstones? Would you know how to handle the stone in the workshop, and what jewellery and uses it is suitable for? Would your customers have increased faith in you? Would you be proud of your achievement?
The answer is, yes.
This 3 day course is perfect for retail jewellers, goldsmiths and jewellery makers, valuers, pawnbrokers or anyone with a passion for gemstones who wants to make it a proficiency.
Over the duration of the course you will handle a wide range of natural, man-made (synthetic), assembled, imitation and treated gemstones. You will learn how to observe them and what to look for to start to recognise them. You will learn how to use standard gemmological equipment accurately and efficently. What the key tests are for identifiying common and commercial gemstones, and build a foundation of skill and knowledge to continue to learn how to test any gemstone.
You will be taught by an experienced practical gemmologist and tutor, who has real world experience of testing gemstones as well as of teaching these skills to a range of students, with differing ages, experience and learning abilities and styles. You will be supported before, during and after the course.
• Learn how to identify a range of common and commercial natural, man-made and imitation gemstones using standard gemmological equipment
• Detailed observation and recording of gemstone features using a 10x loupe, microscope and different light sources
• How to use, and record and interpret the results of:
o Chelsea Colour Filter (CCF)
o UV light
o Specific Gravity Testing
• Creating a data profile of a gemstone to ascertain an accurate identification
• Weight estimation of mounted gemstones
Who is it for:
• Retail Jewellers
• Goldmsiths & Jewellery Makers
• Jewellery designers
• Anyone interested in learning how to identify gemstonesvfor hobby or trade
What does it include:
• 18 hours tutor led instruction
• Use of practice gemstones
• Loan of equipment if needed
• Morning and afternoon refreshments every day
• Lunch every day
Skills & experience needed:
• Some prior experience of gemstones useful but not essential
• 3 days
• 8th to 10th June 2020
What you earn:
• Certificate of Completion/Practical Endorsement for Gem-A Foundation in Gemmology
- 3 Day Practical Gemmology£595£5950£0
- 3 Day Gemmology | 2 instalment£297.50£297.500£0
- 3 Day Gemmology | 5 instalment£119£1190£0